Friday, February 3, 2017

Layers and Layers Dec 30

 We have been having to pull up most of the floors to be able to put down wood floors- this has not been an easy job!  But to reveal a floor -or wall for that matter- that hasn't been seen in YEARS has been so fun!  And to see the family members face when they see that layer and see they are flooded with memories of that time in life - is PRICELESS!  That has been the best part!  I love to hear them remember what was.

These 3 pictures are of the kitchen.
I didn't get a great picture of the green tile (below)  which I hear matched the green counter top! I was told there is a half round table which originally sat at the end of the counter - later in life it found its spot on the porch by the back door which has this green counter top on it.  I, also, have been told that Meredith may have this piece- so if you do, please send a picture, I would love to see it). I am assuming that when the kitchen was added (what year was that??) that it started out with the green tile floor and green counter tops being that I didn't uncover another layer.  The white diagonal boards were under the green tiles. I thought they were totally awesome, but was told it was just the sub-floor so not to get excited!!
(and they were very bouncy- very)
Green tile flooring
This flooring to the left was in the den (room with fireplace) under the laminate!!  This was originally the master bedroom.  Gerry remembers this flooring when she was a little girl! Funny thing was how many bobby pins I found!!!  Must have been 100 or more 😊
The day after Christmas, Luke, Hannah, Parker, Kendall, Tim and I ripped this floor up.  It came up by the INCH, piece by piece, using a hammer and a pry bar (by the way we may have lost some hearing while pulling up all these floors) we finally got it all up!  Oh, and lets not forget all the nails that were 2 inches apart that usually broke while pulling out, so you had to go back to nail those in😧. Oh the joy!  So if you ever see me in my most favorite yoga pants and they have a hole in the seat or back leg - you just know that it was this den floor that caused thatπŸ˜† (like I said my favorite, so yes I still wear them - all.the.time.)   It was such fun family time spent together - and I was SO glad to have all their help!


This picture is of the layers and layers of floor in Grandma's room.  After pulling up the blue carpet, we found laminate which was like the hallway (or very similar).  We pulled that floor up and then there was a laminate that looked like wood floors!!! Then under that there was a paper type liner, which was covering the original floors- way back to when it was the original kitchen.  Apparently the floors had been painted, so you can see where the cabinets used to be!  It was fun hearing Gerry and Susan talk about (and remembering) where everything was in the kitchen. I sure wish I had that hoosier cabinet that sat in the corner!
 Even though there is wood floors in some of the rooms, there is nothing between the earth and this floor, so they tell me it will be too drafty to use the originals.  Oh well, I am enjoying them for the time being.  This reminds me, I need to take a picture of them!

More layers of layers!  Grandma's floors were not the only thing that changed over the years.  With every layer on the floor, there was a layer on the walls!  Under the blueish wall paper that we all knew, was this sweet flowered wall.  It was more like a board than wallpaper.  This was how her bedroom looked when Candi and Cindy were very young! It was a sweet moment when they saw it again :)πŸ’›

Under the flowered wall was the original wood walls, just like the hall.... I have a feeling the whole original part of the house had these walls (and probably ceilings too).





No comments:

Post a Comment