Thursday, May 25, 2017

Update on the front of house...


 
Many moons ago, this walkway lead the way to where the school bus would pick up and drop off Gerry, Susan, Tommy, Cindy and Candi.  Also, at one time, at the end of the walkway was a brick curved entrance with shrubs. I can only imagine that it was the only one like it this far out in the country, sounds very city-fied to me.  I'm not sure how long it was there but it was there until a car wrecked and knocked it over.
However, we do not have anyone catching the bus, so we don't see the point of the walkway any longer.  So muscle man Parker busted it up for us!!  All by himself, in just one day, he just ripped that sucker up!!
There were bricks in the concrete, so I asked around if anyone remembered it being brick.  So far no one does, but I have a feeling the bricks were just used as filler to hold the concrete.  I noticed that the slab that was poured beside the small barn (where the green house was) has brick in it also.

We loaded up all this concrete and hauled it off.  Tim and I did one load and it weighed 1.2 tons!!!!  We let Parker take the other 2 loads - like I have said before - what would we have done without him! He is such a huge help!!  So now that the concrete is gone, we have a 4 inch deep hole that is 48" wide.  So we need dirt and sod.
Dirt ✅ (again, thanks Parker)
Sod ✅ (Tim and I did this one- ok, mostly Tim, but I was right there!)
So with a fresh new look to the front, it was time to freshen up this storm door.  My original plan was to remove the door permanently.  Yet, one day when the workers were here working in the front they had the door open and the storm door closed, and I did like having that light come thru the house.  So for now it stays.  For now....
The front door.  I am not 100% sold on the color I chose, I do like it tho.  I would love to know more about this door.  It is so interesting to me.  I haven't ever seen one with 21 square panels, smooth on the outside but a design on the inside.  I have looked it up with no avail. I wanted to see what era this is from (I know, don't end a sentence with from- but....).  Does anyone know: 1) Did this door come with the house?  if not 2) when was it installed?  3) Did Grandma pick it out?  I would like to know her thoughts on the door.


Next will be the painting of the house!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hayes, I'm going to Mom's next week, and somewhere there are Christmas morning pictures from before the living room renovation, and I think there's one that shows what door was there. Not much help, but maybe.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! That would be great! If you find any, please share.

    ReplyDelete